The Author

The Author
Any day is a good day to write

Friday, November 11, 2011

A Random Act of Kindness

     I have a few things that need set straight, but today I'm going to write about something that DOESN'T need set straight. In fact, we need more things like this to happen in the world that don't need setting straight.
     My wife and I own a flower shop, along with one of her sisters and her husband. My wife and sister operate the shop and my brother-in-law does the deliveries. I try to stay away from there because they always try to make me work when I show up. Actually, I show up when ever they need the extra help, or whatever, including things like installing a water heater, fixing a cooler, and so on. It'a a nice little place called The Garden of Eden that sells beautiful flowers and they have lots of cute little gifts, plus some very nice ones. So, if you're ever in Henderson, Nevada, (next door to Las Vegas) stop in and if you need flowers give them a call. You'll be happy you did. But, I digress.
     The reason for this epistle today is something that happened while I was there this morning. It seems awhile back a very good customer of their's (my wife and her sister - hereinafter referred to as the girls) and someone they love and respect dearly had been feeling down after receiving some treatments for leukemia. The woman's name is Betty and is well respected in the community and is rather wealthy, but the girls tell me she is so down to earth it's hard to believe she is wealthy. I've never met her. Like I said, I try to stay away from there. Anyway, the girls thought they would try to cheer her up so they sent her a little plush bear they carry as a gift, as a way of trying to cheer her up. It's a fuzzy little thing that talks when you put its paws together and says cute little things in a child like voice such as "Hope your boo -boo feels all better" and stuff like that. I have to admit it does its job rather well. It was designed to send to people who are sick, but is especially designed to cheer up children.
     Anyway, the woman called back after receiving it and after thanking the girls for their thoughtfulness asked how much the little bears were. After hearing the price, without hesitating, she ordered 25 or so of them. She wanted to donate them to a local cancer center that also treats children. They proved to be a hit with the kids and became known as "Betty's Bears". And, periodically she orders more when the hospital needs more of them. A nice thing, yes? Well, that's not where this stops. "Betty" called this morning and asked my wife to order another 36 bears. Then she filled her in on the rest of this story.
     It seems a little girl, about 4 years old, had been receiving chemo therapy for a form of cancer and had shut down psychologically. She wouldn't talk any longer. The hospital staff and her parents were sure it wasn't physical, but for whatever reason the little girl wouldn't talk. She used to talk, but wouldn't. Got an idea where this is going? Well, yesterday the little girl was in for therapy. And once again, wasn't talking. The therapist decided to get one of "Betty's Bears" to cheer the little girl up. When she clapped the little bears hands together, the little girl repeated every word the bear said. Startled, the therapist clapped its hands together again and each time she did, the little girl repeated what the bear said. The therapist said she had never seen anything like it. Her parents, understandably are thrilled and it looks like this was the major breakthrough they needed. Time will tell, but for the first time in a long time, the little girl talked. The story isn't over just yet. When my wife called the distributor to order more bears, she was told that her company was discontinuing the bears. And they better get this order in soon. When my wife told Betty this, she said how many do they have left? Calls were made, and it ends up that Betty purchased 500 bears so her program could go on. How good is that?
     And all because of two random acts of kindness. My wife and her sister who thought they could make some one feel better, and a generous woman who wanted to make children she had never met feel better. One act of kindness leads to another, and that's a good thing. So, next time you do something to make someone else feel better, the real winner will be you. And perhaps, some little girl or boy somewhere that you will never meet, who needed that to happen. And isn't that a wonderful thing?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog. I can't question its popularity. I get sometimes thirty hits a day. I'm just about ready to give up on the book thing though. I am starting to feel a little foolish about it. I am going to clean up the sex in number four and push it as YA. It is pretty sex free already though. The freebie of SACRED SIN is going faster than LAWMAN. I guess I may as well hang in there as long as it doesn't cost me. I'm supposed to put up the new one while the freebie is going on, so the marketing gurus state, but I got sick and Louie bought a new mouse so I am hornswoggled.

    ReplyDelete