The Author

The Author
Any day is a good day to write

Thursday, November 3, 2011

I was right! and wrong at the same time.

     Back in September I wrote about the fact my car had a problem with the battery and I was waiting for that fateful day when it finally died and I was forced to take it somewhere and have it dealt with. I wrote about thinking it was only a battery problem and hoping it was not more than that, my financial situation (like everyone else's - I know) is such I can't afford a big problem right now. Well, the day came and I was forced to take it in. Guess what? I was right. It was only the battery and while the dealership (which shall go unnamed) tried valiantly to offer me more things to fix, (they did a FREE maintenance check worth $79.95 to find out I had some things that COULD be fixed), but weren't really pressing matters. I declined those suggestions and they replaced the battery, all $248.53 worth, and I picked the car up the next day. Running like a top and all those nasty engine lights and other indicators saying I had something wrong were no longer on. I was right about that, too. Those lights were caused by the negative ground when the battery was jump started. All that went away.
     Well, then you ask, what were you wrong about, Roy? My problem is I took it to a nice place, a Cadillac dealership, which is one of the GM maintenance centers for those of us who purchased a Saturn just before they went out of business. Lucky us, we own two of them. There's a big banner when you drive in that says WELCOME SATURN OWNERS hanging down in the service bay area. So, they realize a good thing. Not only can they fix the Cadillacs which break down, but they can comfort us Saturn owners and make a little money at the same time. Did I say a little money? Let me rephrase that.  A LOT of money at the same time. However, they treated me well, took care of my problem and were nice about it.
     Here's where it went wrong. I left some loose change in the console. I also had a portable GPS system, some CDs and a few other items, like a pen, small notebook, etc. Somebody took the small change. They left the other stuff and took the money. Now it wasn't a lot, probably about $1.50 which I keep there in quarters so I can use it in parking meters. We don't have those fancy-dancy ones that take credit cards like some cities have. You'd think they would with all the money they make at 25 cents for ten minutes. And, the fines they rake in. But, I digress.
     For all of you shaking your heads saying to yourself, you idiot, you left it there in plain sight, what did you expect to happen? You may be right, but I'm one of those people who trusts others until proven wrong. I don't think we should have to take everything out of our cars when we leave it overnight at a place we trust. Or used to trust. I guess I do share some complicity in this by leaving it in a visible spot.  But I should not have to worry about $1.50 in change.  It's not the amount, it's the principle.  I wrote the dealership a letter, and I'm willing to bet you right now, that they will send some sort of "we're sorry this happened" letter and offer me a huge discount or a free something or other on my next visit, as "you are a valuable customer to us", so I don't think I'll come out on the short end of the stick. However, this is the type of thing we shouldn't have to worry about. We should be able to leave a few quarters laying in our console without worrying about it. It's a cultural thing. After the earthquake in Japan, weeks later, small safes were washing up on the beach. The people who found them took them to the local Police station for the Police to attempt to open them and find the rightful owner. In America, we don't have that kind of a culture, with honesty built in, and that's what needs setting straight. 

1 comment:

  1. We have two Saturns also! An Ion and a Vue. And I remarked after the tsunami disaster that I wondered if the Japanese filled up a stadium with toilet paper and "human waste products."

    ReplyDelete