The Author

The Author
Any day is a good day to write

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Computers and those in their "Golden years"

     I have any number of friends who have parents that refuse to use a computer for various reasons. Most of them are in their "golden years", but that can mean anywhere from 50 to 90 or so.  I think some of them are intimidated (although they would NEVER admit that) by computers, while others point to their lack of computer talents with pride as if the rest of us are Luddites.  But, I think that a number of them are like my father who took up using a computer at the ripe old age of 81, back in 2001.  He was at our house for Christmas and his grandchildren were discussing it, and he suddenly said, "I'd like to try it but I don't have anyone to teach me."  My son, a gifted computer programmer said, "I can help you", and then, we were in the computer room with Grandpa at the computer learning how to use it.  In 2001, remember, they weren't quite as user friendly as they are today.  He picked it up quickly and after a few hours of instruction, was soon using it fairly well.  Then, after he returned home he called and said he had purchased a computer and wanted me or my son to help him with a few things before he "hurt" it.  I worked with him, promising to call my son, if we needed him.
     I asked him if it was set up, and he said, "Yes, the guy that sold it to me installed it for me and I am ready to go."  Even had his e-mail all set up. and was just making sure he knew what to do.  I said, "OK, turn it on and tell me when you get everything up.  He did, I matched him on my computer and started working with him on what he was seeing and what I was seeing on mine.  Then, I learned, why most people can be intimidated by computers.  Things that come easy to most of us, especially the younger set, are confusing to the older generation.  For example, I told him to left click his mouse and then asked him what happened.  He did, and I did the same, following his every move. I instructed him how to place the cursor (I told him it was that little arrow thingy that moved around when he moved his mouse - he understood that), and then to left click.  He did and said what happened.  I said, "OK, put the cursor on the icon (I explained what an icon was) and he followed that, and he understood highlighting.  Then I said "Highlight the words you want, and then right click and what do you see."  Expecting him to tell me about the drop down table that appeared with choices such as: cut, copy paste and so on."  He explained that nothing happened.  I said, "surely something happens?" and he continued to say "NO."  Loudly, I might add. We tried it several times.  Finally I said, "I don't think you are right clicking and left clicking correctly." Then, said my wonderful 81 year old father, "I understand what you are telling me, GODDAMMIT!  What I don't understand is what difference it makes which hand I use." I called my son and asked him to call his Grandfather.  It was easier.  

No comments:

Post a Comment